This section provides knowledge and understanding of Waves, both longitudinal and transverse, the properties observed from waves and the electromagnetic spectrum.
Wave behaviour is common in both natural and man-made systems. Waves carry energy from one place to another and can also carry information. Designing comfortable and safe structures such as bridges, houses and music performance halls requires an understanding of mechanical waves. Modern technologies such as imaging and communication systems show how we can make the most of electromagnetic waves.
The different areas of this topic are outlined here;
- Transverse and longitudinal waves & labelling them
- Wave speed equation
- Reflection and Refraction
- Uses of waves in imaging (e.g. sonar)
- The electromagnetic spectrum
- The uses and dangers of the waves in the electromagnetic spectrum
- Properties of electromagnetic waves (how they can be transmitted)
- How electromagnetic waves are generated
- Concave and convex lenses
- Emission and absorption of infra-red radiation
- Black body radiation
Please remember that you started your GCSEs in year 9 and also learnt material in years 7 and 8 which led into this topic.